I just woke up from a dream where I manifested as a circle of six skeletons, who caught on fire and fell asleep themselves because they kept screwing up the spelling on a movie title to the point that Wikipedia wasn’t able to identify it.
Worst part is I know the answer they were so desperately searching for. 2016, you boneheads. 2016 is the year you want.
smell the goddamn flower you piece of shit baby chicken
diana please don’t taunt me about the fact that i’m not a cool furry like the rest of you. believe me, i would if i could
hey do you watch scooby doo
listen aigis i’m sick and tired of your furry lifestyle
i get you’re attracted to scooby doo but stop talking about the 385 different dirty fanfics you found on scooby doo and the 1000+ dirty pics of him on fayou shut your fucking mouth. scooby doo is everything to me. i own all his movies and watch them with the rest of s.e.e.s every day. ken loves it. everyone loves it. i wish to one day get an upgrade to become scooby doo and replace koromaru as the team dog. i hope one day mystery inc will accept me of one of their own.
If you wear a hijab, niqab or even burqa, don’t expect me to take you seriously if you tell me how free and liberated you are.
"I’m going to withhold giving you the respect you deserve because I disagree your choice of dress, most likely because I’m an ethnocentrist, an Islamophobe, and an imperialist."
That translation is on point
On the heels of this post detailing the adorable story of the hedgehog gene, here’s some more of my favorite silly gene names, and the mutant reasons their redonkulous names:
- tinman - Mutants do not develop a heart (Fruit fly)
- dreadlocks - Causes photoreceptors to sprout dreadlock-like axon projections (Fruit fly)
- tribbles - Causes out of control cell division (Fruit fly)
- maggie - Larvae never mature (Fruit fly)
- hamlet - Affects a type of sensory cell called “IIB” (Fruit fly)
- dunce - Affects learning and memory (Fruit fly)
- smaug - Represses Nanos, which means “dwarf” (Fruit fly)
- groucho - Excessive bristles on the face (Fruit fly)
- ken and barbie - Lack of external genitalia (Fruit fly)
- indy - Stands for “I’m not dead yet”, a la Monty Python (Fruit fly)
- lush and cheap date - Affect alcohol metabolism (Fruit fly)
- RING - A protein segment that comes from “really interesting new gene”
- tigger and pogo - Two families of transposable elements, or pieces of DNA that can jump around genomes (Multiple species)
- kryptonite and superman - Kryptonite represses superman, which causes extra stamens to form in flowers (Arabadopsis)
- Yuri gagarin - Protein involved in sensing gravity (Fruit fly)
- callipyge - Leads to formation of large, round buttocks in sheep (from Greek for “beautiful buttocks”)
- chablis, frascati, merlot, retsina, riesling, cabernet, grenache, chardonnay, chianti, pinotage, sauternes, weissherbst, zinfandel - A set of genes found to inhibit blood cell formation. Get it? Red and white?! (Zebrafish)
I think these would make an excellent art project, all you artistically-and-scientifically inclined people out there. Any of your favorites that I missed?
Because I heard you people like weird gene names (proof that scientists do indeed have a sense of humor)
Figured this is as good a time as any to post these.
I made Sweet Shiki back during Shenanigans in a Magical Forest, and Hella Seija just now in honor of her new game. (Yes, I know “Sweet Bro” is the one in red who falls down stairs and Hella Jeff is the one in blue with the porkchop-shaped mouth, and it was Hella Jeff saying “you got to FLIP it TURN-WAYS”, but eh.)
There is SERIOUSLY a “Dump Starbucks” campaign because the company supports marriage equality. Do you know who else supports marriage equality?
- American Express
- Kraft Foods
- Morgan Stanley
- Liberty Mutual
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of America
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- State Farm
- General Motors
Like, okay homophobes: CHALLENGE PROPOSED.
Good luck LIVING